Thursday, August 14, 2008

Help, My Brain Fell Out and I Can't Find It Dec 22, 2007

I was talking to some friends, and one had heard of a study that showed that a mother's brain shrinks by 10% with pregnancy, and it doesn't come back to normal until a year after weaning the baby. Since I've been pregnant or nursing for nearly 17 years straight, I think it will take me 9 more years to get my brain back. I have not nursed for a year and a half. And I'm not seeing much improvement. Was that 10% per baby? That would be 10% x 9 = 90% of my brain just gone off to Narnia.

TODAY I had on my schedule to take my two oldest boys to a friends' house for an airsoft war, during piano lessons at my house. So I had to arrange with the mom who brings her dd over for lessons to be the "adult on duty" while I took them (the piano teacher not having signed up to be a babysitter, lol). The mom was fine with that. Then there was some confusion on when to pick the boys up from the war, because they are all going to an Alert Cadet party tonight which dh had told me that they were NOT going to, but now ds's tell me dh told THEM they WERE.

While I was mulling over this crazy day in my head before I got up, I looked at the clock (nothing will induce me to tell you what time it was) and realized I had to have 9yo N over to his violin teacher's house *15 minutes ago* for his lesson and then a play date and lunch with violin teacher's ds. I jumped out of bed, madly threw on my clothes, put a hat on over my uncombed hair and ran downstairs yelling, "N!! Get your violin!! We have to leave RIGHT NOW so I can be back before the piano teacher gets here in 20 minutes!!" He got his stuff, we jumped in the van and took off.

I drove the 2 miles into SmallTownsVille where the violin teacher lives and suddenly realized,

I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE HIS HOUSE WAS.

So we drove around the neighborhood for 10 minutes looking for his car. Couldn't find it. Drove back home. Followed the piano teacher down our driveway, good thing I didn't try cruising the neighborhood one more time.

Called the violin teacher, he was pulling up to our house. He knows my brain fell out and I haven't been able to find it. He thinks it's funny.

My friend showed up to be the "adult on duty" and I gave my keys to the boys (17 and 14) and said, yes, they could start the van and turn it around in the driveway, and I'd be out as soon as I finished my coffee.... so I started telling my friend a story of how one of my boys came up to my room once, wearing his Bob the Builder undies, covered with "blood" and gasping, "I've been SHOT!" crash, dead and dying on the floor... when oldest ds shows up in the front window miming, "Are you coming???"

I had totally forgotten they were out there, moving the van, waiting for me to take them to their airsoft war.

Then I had to come back in to get my glasses.

No comments: